Tax Document Checklist

Use the tax checklist below to find the documents and forms you may need to provide to me.

Prior-Year Tax Returns

  • Copies of last two years tax returns, if not already in my possession


Personal Information

Tax Identification Numbers are mandatory items on your tax prep checklist. All taxpayers will need the following information.

  • Your social security number or tax ID number
  • Copies of your driver’s license or state identification card (required to e-file in certain states)
  • Your spouse’s full name and social security number or tax ID number
  • Copies of your spouse’s driver’s license or state identification card (required to e-file in certain states)
    • New Clients – Please provide a copy of social security card(s)


Dependent(s) Information

Parents and caregivers should gather this information as they review what they need to file their taxes.

  • Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers
  • Childcare records (including the provider’s tax ID number) if applicable
  • Income of other adults in your home
  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)
  • New Clients – Please provide copy of social security card(s) & birth certificates

Sources of Income

Many of these forms won’t apply every year. For example, you will only receive the investment forms you may need to file your taxes if you had distributions or other activity.

  • Employed
  • Forms W-2
  • Unemployed
  • Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)
  • Self-Employed
  • Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s (i.e. Profit & Loss, access to bookkeeping records, etc.)
  • Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts The firm does not require that you provide copies of these items, but you are required to maintain proper books and records to substantiate your expenses in the event of audit for a period of at least 3-years
  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Office in home information, if applicable
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
  • Rental Income
  • Records of income and expenses
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
  • Retirement Income
  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
  • Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)
  • Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)
  • Savings & Investments or Dividends
  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
  • Expenses related to your investments
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
  • Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)
  • Other Income & Losses
  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
  • Jury duty records
  • Hobby income and expenses
  • Prizes and awards
  • Trusts
  • Royalty Income 1099–Misc.
  • Any other 1099s received
  • Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name, SSN, and date of dissolution
  • Copy of divorce decree

Types of Deductions

The types of deductions you can take depend a lot on your life situation. It’s likely you won’t need all of the records listed below for your tax documents checklist.

  • Home Ownership
  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
  • Real estate and personal property tax records
  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater)
  • All other 1098 series forms
  • Charitable Donations
  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations & estimates of cost of these goods
  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes
  • Medical Expenses
  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals
  • Health Insurance
  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
  • Childcare Expenses
  • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler
  • Wages paid to a baby-sitter
  • Educational Expenses
  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses
  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received
  • Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest
  • K-12 Educator Expenses
  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)
  • State & Local Taxes
  • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid
  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid (not deductible in all states)
  • Retirement & Other Savings
  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)
  • Federally Declared Disaster
  • City/county you lived/worked/had property in
  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean up costs, etc.)
  • Records of rebuilding/repair costs
  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
  • FEMA assistance information